The adventure begins on Tuesday when I fly to Denver. The actual conference doesn't begin until Thursday, but I enrolled in an all-day preconference workshop on Wednesday - "Emerging Museums." According to the description, it should cover the major elements of starting a new museum, including planning, fundraising, exhibits, etc. For more information about the Association of Children's Museums and the conference, check here.
It's funny because there has been a thread on the children's museum listserv about how boring presenters at conferences are (always relying on Powerpoints). It appears that some of the presenters are also reading the listserv and are running scared! One even posted asking for some quick suggestions before her presentation on emerging museums!
And for those of you who are interested in hotel info - this is where the conference is and where I will be staying - http://www.adamsmark.com/denver/index.asp. Looks like there is a "Supreme Court Night Club" where I will no doubt be partying all night with those children's museum folks...
Wish me luck!
Michelle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Sure hope it's not a bunch of boring presentations. Perhaps it will be hand ons and you can try on space suits, "drive" a fire engine, paint and make bubbles.
Gosh, I hope it's not like that! I do that at home on a normal day. I want this conference to be something different. :]
Michelle
After looking over the program, this looks like a great conference. I think perhaps it helps that we are newbies in the arena of children's museums but even then, there just looks like there is a lot going on, and so much of it sounds very practical.
I guess in some ways, it reminds me of going to PLA (Phoenix) in 2002 and hearing about a library in a mall, or ALA in Chicago and hearing about things like merchandising and places like Ironwood for the first time. Just be a sponge and learn a lot!
Michelle,
The concern about the misuse of PowerPoint relates to a recent reading in my 202 class. You may be familiar with the article titled "PowerPoint is Evil" by Edward Tufte, a Yale University professor and one of the most vocal PowerPoint haters. He believes PowerPoint's emphasis on format over content commercializes and trivializes subjects. Tufte compared PowerPoint presentations to a school play: "very loud, very slow, and very simple." Let us know if Tufte is correct!
Casey,
I thought we went over this. I told you B-! Stop doing the assigned readings!
Michelle
I love Michelle's advice!
Post a Comment