Thursday, April 24, 2008

Misc. Thursday Update

Jim Collins and the IMLS/NEA people deserved their own blog post, but here's the rest of my day (totally condensed).

CULTIVATING A PLAYFUL AND EFFECTIVE FLOOR STAFF
This program was actually pretty interesting in that they talked about the best way to get excellent museum staff. One speaker (from the Long Island Children's Museum) does group interviews. She brings in all her applicants into one room at the same time and then has them participate in a bunch of group activities. It shows her who is a natural leader, how much energy they have, how they interact in a group, etc. She also has one of her employees act as a mole in the room - pretending to be a candidate to get their perspective of the candidates. Other types of questions asked during the q and a portion of the interview - "what was your favorite childhood book, toy, song?" They give situational questions that are both positive and negative. And, mostly, they have to do some sort of audition (for a storytime or exhibit instruction or activity).

They also discussed staff training (both for existing staff and new staff). Whenever they introduce a new exhibit, they have a content training which will include things like: testing processes and activities, scavenger hunt, seek and find, skits and songs that fit the exhibit, and generally make staff and volunteers experts on the exhibit.

It was all quite interesting, although not terribly different than what we do.

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS/POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS
This was a really an idea swap - each person wrote down a potential problem in museums and then a solution that's worked for them. They compiled all of them on site and will email us the results. Everyone got up one by one and made a sort of testimonial. I mentioned inattentive teachers/parents during tours which is a big thing for them too and a way to solve the problem by getting the teachers/parents involved at the beginning of the tour - making them your helper. I also mentioned a potential problem as lack of $$ and they all agreed in a loud roar! I mentioned that we fundraise and gave the telethon as an example of fundraising and PR. I swear, I could have just a telethon program right then and there because people were interested - even asking for my card afterwards! Little do they know...

One cute thing that someone mentioned was nametag and having their picture on them. One museum puts a staff childhood picture on the ID instead of their current picture. They said it's really in keeping with a children's museum, but also helps diffuse a situation when an angry customer asks "what's your name?" He said he just shows his ID and it just diffuses the issue!

What do you think about that?

Tomorrow is another big day - the EXHIBITS! Woohoo - it's what I have been waiting for.

Michelle

5 comments:

Nettie said...

WOW Michelle! I can't believe how much info you are getting and contacts you are making. And I love the bus analogy! I hope the exhibit part today is not only good but gives you a break from all this brain work!! I hope you are findng time for some fun in the city too!

We have talked about group interviews and this year at job fair we did group exercises.

I know you will come home tired but happy!

Lorena said...

I think having our childhood picture on our name tags is a great idea!

Cara said...

I don't think there are any pictures of me as I was the third child. You know how that goes. Just ask Joseph. :)

Renee said...

I'm with Lorena--too bad Jim's leaving because his childhood picture looks just the same except for the beard.

Margaret said...

I like the nametag idea - that would be cute!