Hi everyone!
I just got out of a program on Funding for Museums by the NEA and IMLS. Whereas the amount of resources are not exactly jumping out at us (especially for construction), the program was still rewarding in many ways.
1. The panel discussed different grant opportunities available - mostly for programming (which does include staff), but also for design of museums and exhibits (which I thought was interesting). There are some programs like Museums for America that might work for us. Although usually they only give grants to museums that have been around for a couple years, when I spoke to Marsha Semmel from the IMLS afterwards, she said to apply anyway - if you have a unique and exciting project that they think will qualify - go for it. The NEA dude said the same thing.
2. The NEA speaker talked about some grant funds they have available, including the Big Read. He was encouraging all the museums to get involved with the Big Read - perhaps partner with their local library. One woman asked how they could participate since the books are geared to adults - so I raised my hand and mentioned our Big Read and the stuff we did for kids that anyone could do - choose books that deal with the issues in the book, activities, crafts, etc. The speaker from the NEA was so pleased with that comment. Anyway, after the program, I spoke with Marsha from IMLS. She told me how she liked my comment about the Big Read so I told her that we wished they would do a "Little Read" too. She thought that was a fantastic idea and took my business card and wrote the idea down. So - let's see if there is a Little Read in the future.
3. And this is the best part... Like I said, after the program, I went to talk to Marsha from IMLS and asked her how she saw our project fitting into the IMLS grant scheme. Anyway, when I introduced myself from Rancho Cucamonga, she said "I've heard about your new library..." I was SHOCKED! Anyway, apparently she has heard about us and what we do - from Wayne from Cerritos! I guess he was talking to her one day and explained how libraries like his and ours were trying something more along the lines of an experience. Anyway, she knew all about it and just seemed pleased someone from a library was there.
That's it for now. Gotta head to the next program. I had a quick break since one of my programs was switched.
Tonight I'll tell you all about Jim Collins - the opening speaker and author of the book Good to Great. WOW! He was probably the best speaker I have ever heard (even better than Eugenie Prime - who I heard at Library Camp at Stanford). He was fantastic. I was so disappointed when he finished.
Michelle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Amazing. When Waynn Pearson mentions us and Cerritos in the same sentence, then you know we have arrived. And it doesn't get much better than getting in good with the head of the IMLS!
Can't wait to hear more!
I can't believe that one brain can take all this new information in - then I remember "It's Michelle's brain and its capacity is unlimited!" (unlike my own!). I am so excited reading about your contacts and learning, it really makes the museum project start to come alive! We need to defintely get together when you return for all the great details!
So glad to hear that the presentations have been so helpful. The Little Read idea is fantastic and would work so well in communities where there are families looking for fun activities they can all do together. I am looking forward to hearing all about Jim Collins' event, too. Plus, have you been to any cool restaurants?
Casey,
I went to a French restaurant which was decent, but otherwise, not really. I didn't even eat dinner last night I was so pooped! I went to an hors d'ouevres reception and chatted to a few people but that's about it. :< To be honest, the customer service here is terrible! Customer service people are totally in another world!
Michelle
There were several museums partnering with libraries for the 2007 Big Read and I'm sure subsequently as well. At the time, I thought that, being a traditional art museum, they might have a harder time bringing a community together for this type of project. Most people don't visit art museums repeatedly and as frequently as they do the library. Anyway, the museums participated by doing things like hosting local art and media competitions and showing archived photos, local art of the time, etc. - kind of like our 1930s black and white photos times 10. So, thinking about how a children's museum could do all those things at a child's level (contests, art nights, other special events) is really exciting and goes along so well with our existing family and cultural arts programming. I'd definitely look forward to a Little Read, maybe even another Big Read.
Oh yes, here is one interesting thing that Marsha mentioned in a subtle way - that the IMLS might start moving away from outcome measures. Not sure if that is just for museums, but still, I thought that was interesting.
Michelle
Post a Comment